Friday, September 5, 2008

Server 2008 Ready for Prime Time?

My recent experience with Windows Server 2008 leaves me wondering if I am just unlucky with Windows latest operating systems or if it just isn't ready for production yet. Understand that my experience with Server 2K8 is on Virtual PC 2007 (for obvious reasons), not a production box. I attempted to start the OS and received nothing but a black screen after the Vista-like progress bar. After booting to Safe-Mode with Networking the OS booted once normally after configuring a set of updates. I attempted to install SQL Server 2008, but after installing the .Net Framework 3.5 SP1, my OS restarted and was booting to a black screen again, even in Safe Mode with Networking. I restarted in Safe Mode without Networking and it gave me an endless "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3 - 98% complete. Do not turn off your computer". Seriously, it doesn't end.

It looks like I will be back to the drawing board with Server 2008 to get it working again. Reminds me of my Vista SP1 experience.

No comments: